Botswana and the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO)
Botswana became a member of the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation(UNIDO) in 21 June 1985. The UNIDO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability.
Since joining UNIDO, Botswana benefited from UNIDO in a number of technical assistance such as:
- Development of a National Programme on Industrial Upgrading and Modernization Programme (IUMP);
- Reviewing the Industrial Development Policy (IDP);
- Improving industrial governance in Botswana: advisory and capacity building support for the formulation of a new industrial policy;
- Assessment of small- and medium-scale tannery, and leather & leather products manufacturing prospects;
- UNIDO Training Programme for Women Entrepreneurs in the food-processing industry; and
- Development of Dairy Sector in Botswana: Fact Finding Mission Report.